Last week, as winner of the last Monthly Wine Writing Challenge (#MWWC5) I selected the theme for this month’s challenge (#MWWC6): Mystery.
Last go around, there were eight submissions, which is great, but we would certainly like to see that grow. Several talented writers have remained on the sidelines for far too long and need to get back in the game. I thought about naming them in the hope of shaming them into writing, but that is not my style (actually, that is exactly my style but I will wait until next week to do so).
Here are the rules and relevant dates:
- Write a post based on this month’s theme: “Mystery”. It can be fiction, non-fiction, wine reviews, diary entries, poems, heck it could even be a transcription of a “butt-call” that you received from your spouse as long as it has something to do with wine and incorporates the theme in some way.
- The post should be at least tangentially related to wine (after all, it is the name of the challenge!).
- The post should be more or less around 1000 words (I routinely violate this rule, so it is just there as a “guide”).
- Include the Monthly Wine Writing Challenge badge that was designed by the very first winner, The Armchair Sommelier.
- Once you post on your blog, link back to this post (or somehow notify me), and I will be sure to include a link here as well as on all subsequent posts about this month’s challenge.
- It would be great if you tweet a link using the hashtag #MWWC6.
- Remember to vote!
The all important dates:
Deadline for submission: Monday, January 13th, 2014
Voting Begins: Tuesday, January 14th, 2014
Voting Ends: Monday, January 20th, 2014
Winner Announced: Tuesday, January 21st, 2014
If you need some inspiration, here is the exhaustive list (I think) of all the past challenges and submissions:
For the first challenge, hosted by yours truly, had “Transportation” as a theme and we had ten submissions:
The Armchair Sommelier (winner)
The Drunken Cyclist (host)
That first challenge was won by The Armchair Sommelier, who then hosted the next challenge with “Trouble” as the theme. There were 12 submissions:
My Custard Pie (winner)
The Armchair Sommelier (host)
#MWWC3 was hosted by My Custard Pie in way off Dubai and she chose the theme “Possession” for which there were a whopping 15 submissions:
Possession – a short story by The Wine Kat (winner)
Possession: A Confession by Wine Swap
I’m not a hoarder, I’m a collector by The Armchair Sommelier
The Possession Obsession by Duff’s Wines
‘He Who Knows He Has Enough is Rich’ -Lao Tzu by From Vinho Verde to Barolo with Love
How possessive are the wine lovers? by Talk-a-vino
A wine for a dreadfully awkward meal in A.S. Byatt’s Possession by Jameson Fink
Possession or Are German winemakers merely possessors? by The Winegetter
Possession: It’s Mine!!! by Red Wine Diva
Rice wine at the mid-Autumn festival by Saucy Gander
Possession by The Wine Raconteur
Who owns a name? Celebrating Robert Mondavi’s centenary by My Custard Pie (host)
Possession:Entry Denied by Foodwineclick
Monthly Wine Writing Challenge #3: Possession by The Drunken Cyclist
Depossessed drink: Wine on loan by Wayward Wine
MWWC #3 – Wine and Sarah McLachlan by The Food and Wine Hedonist
#MWWC4 was hosted by Wine Kat and her chosen theme was “Oops” and there were eight submissions (Full disclosure: I did not submit to this challenge. Not because I do not make mistakes, but rather I could not choose from the multitudes).
Desolé Beaujolais – by Confessions of a Wine Geek (winner)
Trick or Treat – by Wayward Wine
Oops – by BYWine
Wine’s Oops Moments – by Talk-a-vino
The Perfect Word for Winetasting – by MyCustardPie
Oops – by Wine Raconteur
Oops Moments – by Foodwineclick
Brush with the biodynamic – by The Armchair Sommelier
And Last month, the theme was “Feast” which was chosen by Confessions of a Wine Geek:
The Wine Kat (@thewinekat) Mac Datho’s Pig
BY Wine (@BYWineUk) Shoes or Wine?
Wayward Wine (@waywardwine) A foodless wine feast of Penfolds
binNotes (@binNotes) Feast
The Armchair Sommelier (@armchairsomm) Lutefisk The ghost of Christmas past
The Drunken Cyclist (@masi3v) Feast (winner)
Sybaricious (@sybaricious) Gordon Ramsay Royal Hospital Road
Confessions of a Wine Geek (@winegeekconfess) The day Ave & Al tried to kill us (host)
[Image credits: Freepik, Wikipedia]