Well, it is Wednesday again, and time for the Weekly Wine Quiz. Last week, the Quiz was comprised of a few general wine knowledge questions, which we need to address first.
1. What do all of the following have in common?
a. Les Clos b. Les Preuses c. Valmur d. Vaudésir
All of the above are Grand Cru vineyards in Chablis.
2. Of those listed in Question #1, what is missing?
There are a total of seven Grand Cru vineyards in Chablis, thus the “missing” vineyards are Bougros, Grenouilles, and Blachots.
3. What do all of the following have in common and what is missing?
a. Beaujoolais b. Chablis c. La Côte d'Or d. Mâconnais
All of the above are wine regions in Burgundy.
4. Of those listed in Question #3, what is missing?
The other main wine producing region in Burgundy is La Côte Chalonnaise.
On to this week’s quiz. Once again, instead of focusing on one wine region, the quiz this week is a hodgepodge of wine trivia. So in no particular order:
1. Generally speaking, what temperature needs to be achieved to promote bud break?
a. 40°F b. 45°F c. 50°F d. 55°F
2. Put these white wines in order from (generally speaking) the wine with the greatest potential for aging to the wine with the least.
a. California Chardonnay b. German Riesling Auslese c. Sauternes d. White Burgundy
3. Put these red wines in order from (generally speaking) the wine with the greatest potential for aging to the wine with the least.
a. Barbaresco b. Bordeaux Fifth Growth c. California Pinot Noir d. Vintage Port
4. What do the following have in common?
a. Aureole b. Citronelle c. Daniel d. Veritas