Well, it is Wednesday again, and time for the Weekly Wine Quiz. Last week’s Quiz was comprised of a few general wine knowledge questions, which we need to address first.
1. Which of the following does not belong, and why?
a. Aragonez b. Baboso Negro c. Cencibel d. De Por Aca
B. Baboso Negro. All the others are synonyms for Tempranillo.
2. Which of the following varieties is not blended with other varieties?
a. Cabernet Sauvignon b. Merlot c. Pinot Noir d. Syrah e. None of the above
E. None of the above. Many of you opted foe Pinot Noir, but Pinot Noir is used in blends quite often, in one of the more popular wines in the world: champagne.
3. Where does Gruet make its American sparkling wines?
a. Arizona b. Colorado c. New Mexico d. Texas
C. New Mexico.
4. Dry Creek Valley is most known for what variety?
a. Cabernet Sauvignon b. Merlot c. Pinot Noir d. Zinfandel
D. Zinfandel. On a side note, it looks like I will be headed out to the Dry Creek Valley this Spring–more to come on that soon.
Bonus Question (This is a tough one): Name the wine, the movie, and the owner of those hairy legs. Some of you got it right–the legs belong to James Bond (Sean Connery). The wine, however, is a Comtes de Champagne from Taittinger. And the movie? From Russia with Love.
Well, no one got all the questions right since #2 was a bit of a trick question, but several of you had a very strong showing: Anatoli of Talk-a-Vino and The Wandering Sheppard (both of whom got part of the bonus question), Linda of From Vinho Verde to Barolo with Love (who had perhaps the best answer to the bonus), and 31×2 (who does not have a blog apparently). Congratulations to all!
On to this week’s quiz: a hodgepodge of wine trivia, a veritable cornucopia of knowledge:
1. Which of the following does not belong? Why?
a. Clos LaChance b. Clos du Val c. Clos du Paradis d. Clos Pegasse
2. A 4 oz.glass of Chardonnay has about the same number of calories as:
a. a medium-sized red apple b. a glazed donut c. a cup of grapes d. all of the above
3. Of the following vineyards, which is not in the Sta. Rita Hills appellation?
a. Clos Pepe b. Bien Nacido c. Cargasacchi d. Sanford and Benedict
4. Of the following, which is not a commonly planted Pinot Noir clone in California?
a. Pommard b. Swan c. 777 d. Davis
Bonus Question: Name the movie and its connection to the wine industry.
Good luck! Answers next week!