Wine Trivia Wednesday–#74

Well, it is Wednesday again, and time for the Weekly Wine Quiz. Last week’s Quiz was comprised of a few general wine knowledge questions, which we need to address first.

1. Which of the following does not belong, and why?

a. Aragonez
b. Baboso Negro
c. Cencibel
d. De Por Aca

B. Baboso Negro. All the others are synonyms for Tempranillo.

2. Which of the following varieties is not blended with other varieties?

a. Cabernet Sauvignon
b. Merlot
c. Pinot Noir
d. Syrah
e. None of the above

E. None of the above. Many of you opted foe Pinot Noir, but Pinot Noir is used in  blends quite often, in one of the more popular wines in the world: champagne.

3. Where does Gruet make its American sparkling wines?

a. Arizona
b. Colorado
c. New Mexico
d. Texas

C. New Mexico.

4. Dry Creek Valley is most known for what variety?

a. Cabernet Sauvignon
b. Merlot
c. Pinot Noir
d. Zinfandel

D. Zinfandel. On  a side note, it looks like I will be headed out to the Dry Creek Valley this Spring–more to come on that soon.

Bonus Question (This is a tough one): Name the wine, the movie, and the owner of those hairy legs. Some of you got it right–the legs belong to James Bond (Sean Connery). The wine, however,  is a Comtes de Champagne from Taittinger. And the movie?  From Russia with Love.20140304-212857.jpg20140226-091326.jpg

Well, no one got all the questions right since #2 was a bit of a trick question, but several of you had a very strong showing: Anatoli of Talk-a-Vino and The Wandering Sheppard (both of whom got part of the bonus question), Linda of From Vinho Verde to Barolo with Love (who had perhaps the best answer to the bonus), and 31×2 (who does not have a blog apparently). Congratulations to all!

On to this week’s quiz: a hodgepodge of wine trivia, a veritable cornucopia of knowledge:

1. Which of the following does not belong? Why?

a. Clos LaChance
b. Clos du Val
c. Clos du Paradis
d. Clos Pegasse

2. A 4 oz.glass of Chardonnay has about the same number of calories as:

a. a medium-sized red apple
b. a glazed donut
c. a cup of grapes
d. all of the above

3. Of the following vineyards, which is not in the Sta. Rita Hills appellation?

a. Clos Pepe
b. Bien Nacido
c. Cargasacchi
d. Sanford and Benedict

4. Of the following, which is not a commonly planted Pinot Noir clone in California?

a. Pommard
b. Swan
c. 777
d. Davis

Bonus Question: Name the movie and its connection to the wine industry.

Hint: That is a yound Lindsay Lohan in the jeep.  Photo Credit: Wikimapia.org

Hint: That is a young Lindsay Lohan in the jeep. Photo Credit: Wikimapia.org

Good luck! Answers next week!

This entry was posted in Trivia, Wine, Wine Quiz and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Wine Trivia Wednesday–#74

1. Damon says:

1. c
    2. a
    3. b
    4. d

I didn’t know the answer to the image question but I was able to confirm my first guess pretty easily – it’s Parent Trap, which was filmed at Staglin.

2. 31x2 says:

Yeah I lost steam for writing a blog before I started. Just as well, I was afraid my entries would start to resemble the “ranting of an old head” and of course, no one wants to read that kind of crap. I thought about focusing on information technology and similar, but usually I’m too brain dead by the end of the day after working in that business to want to think much about it. It’s impressive you’ve been able to keep going with your blog as long as you have without losing momentum! Nice Job Jeff!

• Well, the blogging world seems to be full of “ranting of an old head” type blogs (this one included!) so you should give it a shot! I do know that if I blogged about what I did all day, I would not last very long!

3. You know I have an unhealthy obsession with Lohan. You didn’t even need to give that hint for me to know that ‘s from Parent Trap. Linds, in an acting tour-de-force, plays both twins Annie and Hallie. Hallie is the one raised by her winemaking father (Dennis Quaid) in California.

Now for the tougher questions –

1c – that’s the only one not in CA
    2a – Apple? Grapes are much less, donut higher
    3d – wild guess
    4d – Davis – that’s a college…

4. dwdirwin says:

my husband was here when I was reading this so I showed him these and he got all technical with 4- but what he said was there are multiple clones that come out of Davis but had never heard of one that goes by just Davis- they have numbers associated with them. Since others are saying d he’ll go with that (although he hasn’t heard of swan being widely planted, but he’s thinking more Russian River). I’ll answer 2- a and I know the bonus is Parent Trap with one twin raised in Napa Valley. I’ll pass on the other 2 since we weren’t sure and I didn’t feel like looking them up. You’re coming out this way later this spring? Alright, alright, alright 🙂

• I was worried that the clone question was a bit too vague, but you certainly were on track with what I was thinking. I will be coming out there this Spring–the semi-annual visit to the in-laws. I have a bit of a jumket lined up in Dry Creek, and then a couple more days in Napa/Sonoma. Can’t wait to get out of the cold!

1. c, Clos du Paradis – the rest are wineries in California
    2. well, you’ve done it again. This question is really hard to have a good answer for. There is about 100 cal in 4 oz of champagne, 72 in red apple, 62 in 1 cup (92g) of white table grapes, 260 in glazed donut. I guess it leaves us with a, apple.
    3. b, Bien Nacido
    4. d, Davis
    Bonus: The Parent Trap?

6. a – I don’t know, it looks fake
    b – it just reminds me of the Miller 64 commercial.
    c – another guess
    a – that’s an appelation in Burgundy.

That has to be the Parent Trap, as I believe that Quaid driving the jeep. I never saw the movie, just maybe a scene or two. At least that’s what I am claiming, so I don’t know the wine connection.

Definitely a harder one this week.

7. vinoinlove says:

Q1 C
    Q2 A
    Q3 B
    Q4 D
    Q5 I’m afraid I don’t know

8. rhchatlien says:

#2 A (A rare question I can answer!)