It is Wednesday again and time for another quiz. Before we get to this week’s questions, we need to review the questions from last week:
1. Which of the following towns does not belong on this list and why?
a. Chambolle-Musigny b. Nuits-Saint-Georges c. Gevrey-Chambertin d. Morey-Saint-Denis
The answer I was looking for here was b. Nuits-Saint-Georges as it is the only town listed without a Grand Cru vineyard in the town.
DRC is located right in the town of Vosne-Romanée, in a very unassuming location and building (it took me a while to find it).
3. For red wines, place the following areas of Burgundy in order of prestige (i.e., cost) from highest to lowest: Côte Chalonnaise, Côte de Nuits, Côte de Beaune.
The correct answer here is Côte de Nuits, Côte de Beaune, Côte Chalonnaise.
4. Which town in Burgundy has the most Grand Cru vineyards for red wine?
The answer is Gevrey-Chambertin with a total of nine Grand Cru vineyards.
That means once again, the Grand Prize winner is Anatoli (aka Talk-a-Vino), who nailed each question! Great job!
On to this week’s quiz. I thought we would stay in Burgundy at least for another week and move on to some questions about the southern half of the Côte d’Or.
1. Before moving to the Côte de Beaune, just one more question about the Côte de Nuits: What makes Musigny unique?
a. It is the only village in the Côte de Nuits permitted to grow Syrah. b. It is the only village in the Côte de Nuits that is Grand Cru for both red and white. c. It has the largest area in the Côte de Nuits dedicated to Grand Cru plantings. d. It produces what is consistently the most expensive wine in the world.
2. In the Côte de Beaune, which village has the most Grand Cru vineyards for white wine?
a. Aloxe-Corton b. Chassagne-Montrachet c. Pernand-Vergelesses d. Puligny-Montrachet
3. Which of the following towns produces the most Pinot Noir?
a. Chassagne-Montrachet b. Meursault c. Puligny-Montrachet
4. Which appellation in the Côte de Beaune has the greatest overall production?
a. Beaune b. Pommard c. Savigny-les-Beaune d. Volnay
Best of luck–answers next week!