Well, it is Wednesday again, and time for the Weekly Wine Quiz. Before we get to this week’s quiz, we need to go over the answers from last week:
1. Which of the following varieties is not commonly grown in Dry Creek Valley?
a. Cabernet Sauvignon
c. Pinot Noir
d. Sauvignon Blanc
C. Pinot Noir. While Dry Creek Valley is perhaps best known for Zinfandel and Sauvignon Blanc, there are also a bevy of other varieties grown. Pinot, which likes cooler climates, is not one of them.
2. Of the following, which is the oldest winery in Dry Creek Valley?
a. Pedroncelli Winery
b. Ridge Lytton Springs
c. Rued Vineyards
d. Unti Vineyards
A. Pedroncelli Winery. While there are many wineries in the Valley that span generations, Pedroncelli was one of the first, starting in 1927.
3. Which of the following is not a category for wine from the Wachau?
A. Ausbruch. Ausbruch is a category of sweet wines from Burgenland. The other three are used in the Wachau in increasing levels of ripeness: Steinfelder, Federspiel, Smaragd.
4. Which of the following DAC wine regions is closest to the Wachau?
B. Kremstal. The Kremstal is directly adjacent to the Wachau to the North and the East.
Where in the world is this? This is a picture of a bridge spanning a section of Lake Sonoma on the way up to the Rockpile Appellation.
We had one winner last week: Linda of From Vinho Verde to Barolo with Love got three out of the four questions as well as the bonus! Congratulations!
Seeing that I am currently in Austria sipping on some Grüner Veltliner as I write this, why not one more week of Austria?
1. Approximately what percentage of vines in Austria are Grüner Veltliner?
2. Zweigelt, the most popularly planted red variety in Austria is a cross between Blaufränkisch and….
c. St. Laurent
d. None of the Above (they are synonyms)
3. Which DAC has the most acreage under vine?
a. Lower Austria
c. Wien (Vienna)
4. Which of the following French varieties is most widely planted in Austria?
a. Cabernet Franc
b. Cabernet Sauvignon
Where in the world is this? (OK, it is obviously in Austria, but what wine region?)
Good luck! Answers next week!