Getting Ready for a Change

I am sitting here in a rather regrettable hotel room, about 100 miles from Dallas, listening to a train loudly announce its presence just outside my window. And it’s 5:30. And that would be a.m.

Why would I submit myself to such torture?

Well, we are about to add a new member to the family. Without either of the boys’ knowledge, we are on our way to pick up our labradoodle puppy this morning. Before anyone can raise an objection about getting the dog from a breeder, I feel I should add that my younger son, of “Sundays” fame is allergic to dogs and so our choices were limited (labradoodles come close to being hypo-allergenic).

Getting a dog was one of the conditions for them agreeing to move to Texas (the other was that each would get their own room–not the shrewdest negotiators), and after just over a year living here, their mother finally relented and allowed the acquisition to go through.

As I said, neither of the boys have the slightest idea (and I am banking that neither of them read my blog–a safe bet since I rarely have Youtube videos of me performing incredibly acts [they do not find sabering all that incredibly amusing]), and we hope to surprise them when they get home from school.

We have not yet chosen the puppy, but here is the photo–which would you choose (the one in the middle is off-limits–it is a male dog and my wife refuses to allow any more boys into the house). We also have yet to choose a name. I think it should be somehow wine related, my wife is less-inclined. Here are some of the choices:

1. Mailly (one of our favorite towns in Champagne)
  2. Bouchon (French for “cork”)
  3. Zoey
  4. Sophie

I guess it is obvious which are my choices and which are those of my wife. So let me know what you think!

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Getting Ready for a Change

1. Ted Slack says:

The second one from the left in the photo that is most brown. Name her Sophie since weird dog names don’t do them justice they only bring short-term pleasure to their owners.

2. leggypeggy says:

Second from the right or on the far left. They both look confident, which may be your undoing.

3. cpalatejane says:

They’re all beautiful. All four!

4. Nancy K. says:

Oh, good grief. C’mon man, give us some DOG NAMES to choose from. Congrats on your new addition… nothing beats a dog. Except two dogs.

5. Call the puppy Cold Duck, Night Train, or Franzia!!

6. okiewinegirl2015 says:

Congrats! So cute! Invest in lint rollers.

7. wineismylife says:

I like the one on the left. I’d name her Bouchon.

8. Duff's Wines says:

I’m all in on Sophie. Love dogs. Love ’em a lot. Your boys will have a full life if they know dog ownership.

9. mistermuse says:

I was going to suggest Oui Oui if the dog isn’t housebroken, but you probably wouldn’t want to go with that long-term. So how about Santé, which is French for “health” (as in the toast “To your health!”)?

10. ATdF says:

…what about “rosé”?

11. tomsimard says:

Cute puppies!

Although all of the are fine, I’d go for Sophie.

12. I like Mailly! How adorable!!

13. Sophie is my vote too!

14. robgradens says:

I like “Sophie” too. I woke up a bit ago and felt it hit home that I’d been insensitive to my dog, Aesop, and to my brother, too. I’ve been depressed and depressing for a few days. It is the dead of the wee hours right now, yet I’m pretty cheerful. There’s a blogger here with us named Massimo with a site “Footnotes to Plato.” I took something he and his back scratchers were saying about how dogs and dolphins and chimps don’t think in language like humans, etc, too much to heart. I used it as a rationalizing tool to duck out of time with Aesop. So, I repent. There’s a Carole King song, “Beautiful”: “You’ve got to get up every morning / With a smile on your face / And show the world all the love in your heart / Then people gonna treat you better / You’re gonna find, yes you will / That you’re beautiful as you feel” (from _Tapestry_, 1971). Hey man, spoil that puppy! You’ve made a good choice in taking the plunge. And thanks for liking “Fortieth night.” I don’t want the religion thing to be obnoxious. Keep in touch. Rob

15. The Winesmacker says:

They all look beautiful. Pick any and call him Capsule!

16. linnetmoss says:

Rosé or Sophie. They sure are cute!