A few weeks ago I ranted that unlike other blogging communities, there does not seem to exist for wine bloggers a regular unifying event in which to participate. For example, the photo blogs have a weekly challenge, as do some of the writing blogs. I have been particulary impressed with some of these challenges, which allow the participants to exhibit their creativity and expand their own abilities.
That might sound like a bunch of crap, but I really believe it (I also believe in “responsible government”, the golden rule, and the tooth fairy).
Now I know that there have been attempts in the past to have weekly or even monthly “events” for wine bloggers and for whatever reason(s) those seemed to fizzle out. Perhaps this effort will as well. Perhaps I will be the only one participating, but as I used to tell my basketball teams: “100% of the shots you don’t take, don’t go in.”
[I consider that to be one of my two original quotes, the other being: "If it doesn't sparkle, it doesn't matter” (more complete genius). I repeat both phrases all the time to make me sound profound, even introspective.]
I also used to make my basketball team run wind sprints until somebody puked.
So take that for what it’s worth.
Regardless, I am pretty close to being sincere here (much more sincere than the “smile” I gave my new boss on her first day). I really think that there are some talented wine bloggers out there and I am here to urge them to tap into that creativity.
[By the way, saying that a wine has "fleshy red stone fruit notes with whispers of eucalyptus root" is not "creative" it's just pretentious and stupid.]
Here is my proposal (if it helps to imagine that I am down on one knee, go with it):
1. Let me say right off the bat that this is a work in progress. Any (or all) of the “rules” below can be amended or even changed.
2. Write a post (or an “article” if that is the way you roll) based on the month’s theme. It is up to you to determine how literal you take the theme, but there needs to be some connection.
3. The post should be between 500-1000 words. More than that, people get bored to tears or are demented in some way (unless it is your mom, significant other, or insurance salesperson, who only claims to read it).
4. The post has to include a connection to wine (Duh?).
5. Send me a link to your post (or include it as a comment here), and I will include it on my blog (not that it means any additional traffic to your blog at all–I have three readers: my sister, my wife–just to make sure that I don’t mention my father-in-law, and a degenerate that lives on a bench at the bus depot in San Rafael, CA).
6. This one is open for debate: there will be a vote on the “best post” of the month. Vote for the top three (can’t vote for yourself–I mean really). The “winner” will “host” the next month’s challenge.
7. This month’s theme is “transportation”. That’s it. You can interpret it any way you like. The deadline for submission is the first week in July.
So there it is. Certainly let me know what you think.